Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cool Collections: Dishes

Old or new, dishes can be a fun thing to collect... They're eye-pleasing and functional! Use them in creative displays or make them your everyday dishes. They also make great heirlooms that you can pass down from generation to generation. Or perhaps you've been given this priceless gift from a member of your family!



Since registering for our wedding in 2006, I've been collecting these Emma Pottery Barn dishes. I love the beaded detail that gives them the look of an antique set.



This is what my collection looks like so far...

(The stack of plates under the gravy boat are not part of the collection... those are plates I found at Anthropology.)



Inspired by my mom and good 'ol Martha, I started collecting Jadeite in 2003...

Jadeite, which comes in different patterns, is a stain- and heat-resistant, milky-green glassware. Common in the 1940's and 1950's, Jadeite was sold at hardware stores and five-and-tens. It could even be found in a bag of flour or box of oatmeal as an inducement to buy the rest of the set. Today, it is a popular and valuable collectible. My mom and I, along with Martha and her daughter, collect the increasingly hard-to-find Fire-King Restaurantware pattern (though we collect other patterns as well). This pattern was used in restaurants, hotels and hospitals because of it's durability.



This is what my collection looks like so far...


Although I currently keep my dishes on these glass shelves in our dining room they will soon be given a new home that is creative, space saving and baby-proof! ...It's going to take some work but don't worry you'll get to see the step-by-step in a future post!



Do you collect any dishes? If so, what kind? And how do you display them?

No comments:

Post a Comment